If you’re a succulent lover you know that there is nothing better than perusing a local nursery, admiring and comparing everything from Aloes to ZZ Plants in person.
That said, many areas in the U.S. don’t have succulent nurseries, and if they do, selection may be limited; and even if you’re a succulent lover that does have access to a wonderful nursery nearby, it might not always be convenient to visit.
So, whether you’re an Agave aficionado hankering for a rare variety or you can’t make it to a nursery in person, your best option to purchase succulents is to do so online. Luckily, there are plenty of reliable online succulent retailers to help you do just that!
Our Favorite Places to Buy Succulents Online
Check out our list below of the 9 best places to buy succulents online!
- About the Business: One of the most reliable and well-known online succulent retailers is Mountain Crest Gardens™, a family owned and operated succulent nursery located in Scott Valley, California. It has been in operation since 1995 and has had an online catalogue since 2001. Mountain Crest Gardens™ now has over 700 varieties of succulents to choose from and continues to add new varieties to the online catalogue every month.
- Reviews & Ratings: Mountain Crest Gardens™ has an impressive average rating of 4.8/5 stars with over 32,000 reviews.
- What it Sells: The nursery has over 700 varieties of succulents to choose from in addition to pots and planters, top dressing, books on succulents, and gifts.
- Rewards: At the time of writing, customers could receive a free 2” Chick Charm ‘Gold Nugget’ with any purchase of $35 or more. Customers may also sign up to receive an online newsletter for access to exclusive coupons and product information. In addition, Mountain Crest Gardens™ offers a rewards program for frequent buyers. Once customers have signed up, they can receive “Crest Points” and become eligible for certain rewards, like coupons and free e-books.
- Shipping: Who?: Mountain Crest Gardens™ ships to all U.S. states and territories. Free shipping is available except to Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, and other U.S. territories with orders of $59 or more.
- Shipping: When?: Orders are shipped year-round between Monday and Wednesday and are delivered Thursday through Saturday.
- Shipping: How?: Mountain Crest Gardens™ packs all shipments by hand in recyclable crinkle paper, biodegradable packing peanuts, and recyclable boxes if necessary. Individual succulents and collections are shipped fully rooted in 2-inch plastic containers.
- Returns/Guarantees: Mountain Crest Gardens™ has a 14-day quality guarantee that covers plants without roots, root rot, disease, broken stems, pest infestation, numerous broken or missing leaves, incorrect/missing plant or product, and visible damage to pots or other accessories. Customers may choose to receive store credit plus an extra 10%, a refund, or a replacement plant (if available).
- About the Business: Succulent Market is a third-generation succulent and cactus farm in Vista, California that has been in business for over 50 years. Succulent Market grows all of its succulents and cacti, never ordering their plants from other businesses. The farm offers over 100 varieties of succulents and cacti and plants are available to purchase individually or in bulk.
- Reviews & Ratings: Succulent Market has an average of 4.8/5 stars based on 24 Google reviews and 4.5/5 stars based on 23 Facebook reviews.
- What it Sells: Succulent Market sells premium cacti and succulents, cuttings, potted plants, and succulents in bulk.
- Rewards: Free shipping is available on orders of $65 or more. Customers may also sign up to receive emails from Succulent Market and there is an affiliate program with a 10% commission available.
- Shipping: Who?: Succulent Market ships to all U.S. states.
- Shipping: When?: Shipments go out between Monday and Wednesday.
- Shipping: How?: Orders go through a 5-step process to ensure quality. Products are wrapped and boxed; crinkle paper is used to protect plants; clay pots are wrapped in bubble wrap; and all orders are packed with biodegradable shipping pellets.
- Returns/guarantees: If you receive a damaged plant, customers can simply take a picture of the plant and send an email within 2 days to report the damage. Succulent Market will replace any damaged plant free of charge.
- About the Business: The Succulent Source is a small, family owned and operated private licensed succulent nursery based in southern California. It has been in operation for nearly 15 years and offers succulents, centerpieces, gifts, DIY kits, and more.
- Reviews & Ratings: The Succulent Source has over 10,000 reviews with 95% of customers giving a 5-star rating.
- What it Sells: The Succulent Source specializes in succulents for weddings, showers, and other events.
- Rewards: Customers can sign up for an online newsletter containing special monthly deals.
- Shipping: Who?: Shipping is available to all U.S. states.
- Shipping: When?: Shipping usually goes out the day after ordering and may take 1 to 5 days to arrive, depending on size. The Succulent Source uses USPS Priority Mail and FedEx Ground depending on the amount of plants ordered.
- Shipping: How?: Plants are hand packed fully rooted and planted in small containers. Orders are placed in either a USPS or FedEx approved box filled with packing peanuts.
- Returns/guarantees: If customers are unhappy with their order, they may take a picture and email the Succulent Source for a replacement or to be refunded.
- About the Business: Self-described as “a customer service company that happens to sell succulents and hardy plants,” Harddy is a private marketplace for succulents and cacti. Orders are shipped directly from nurseries Harddy works with in southern California. This business’ core values are honesty, excellence, and idealism.
- Reviews & Ratings: Harddy has a 94% 5-star approval rating with nearly 2,000 customer reviews.
- What it Sells: Harddy specializes in premium succulents and hardy plants and collections (e.g. low-light, pet-safe, etc.).
- Rewards: Customers can sign up to receive special offers, early access, and updates via email. Harddy also offers a referral affiliate program.
- Shipping: Who?: Harddy ships to all U.S. states.
- Shipping: When?: Harddy usually ships on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays via USPS Priority Mail, and orders arrive between 1 and 4 days after shipment.
- Shipping: How?: Some plants are shipped bare root (for example most 4-inch plants), though most are shipped in their nursery pots. harddy recommends not placing an order until temperatures in the customer’s area are above 33 degrees F.
- Returns/guarantees: Harddy offers heat packs for sale for plants headed to colder climates and is not responsible for plants damaged due to cold or frost. If customers are unsatisfied with their order, they can contact harddy within 24 hours of delivery and provide a picture of the damaged plant. Replacements are sent out when possible.
5. Leaf & Clay
- About the Business: Leaf & Clay is a trendy online succulent shop founded in 2015 located in Orange, California offering succulents and cacti, pots and macramé hangers, and even apparel.
- Reviews & Ratings: Leaf & Clay has an average of 4.3/5 stars based on 19 online reviews.
- What it Sells: Leaf & Clay sells succulents and cacti as well as special variety packs such as pastels, rare cultivars, and “weirdos.”
- Rewards: At the time of writing, customers spending $35 or more can receive a free Senecio ‘String of Dolphins.’ Customers can join Leaf & Clay’s VIP list to receive email notifications on sales and new promotions. Upon signing up for email notifications, customers will receive a 15% discount.
- Shipping: Who?: Leaf & Clay ships to the U.S. and outlying territories.
- Shipping: When?: Orders are shipped Monday through Friday via the United States Postal Service 1-3 days after processing.
- Shipping: How?: All plants are shipped bareroot without the nursery pot to protect the plant and reduce shipping costs.
- Returns/guarantees: If plants arrive damaged due to transit, Leaf & Clay offers a store credit if contacted within 48 hours of delivery. Refunds are not available on live plants.
- About the Business: Succulent Gardens is a boutique nursery located in Castroville, California. It is open to the public for retail sales and also has an online shop with over 400 varieties of succulent plants to purchase. Their online shop features free shipping on all orders.
- Reviews & Ratings: Succulent Gardens has an average of 4.5/5 stars based on 89 reviews on Yelp.
- What it Sells: This nursery specializes in succulents, DIY kits, container gardens, and succulent related gifts.
- Rewards: Customers may sign up to receive monthly newsletters with special promotions and general news about the succulent world.
- Shipping: Who?: Succulent Gardens ships to all U.S. states.
- Shipping: When?: Orders are shipped Monday through Friday.
- Shipping: How?: Generally plants are shipped as shown on the website, fully rooted and potted in their nursery containers.
- Returns/guarantees: All plants come with a 14-day return policy if customers are not completely satisfied.
- About the Business: Succulents Box was established in 2017 and is based in Mission Viejo, California. It offers 5 monthly subscription plans with over 200 organically grown succulent varieties. It has been featured in Better Homes & Gardens, Refinery 29, and Apartment Therapy.
- Reviews & Ratings: Succulents Box has an average 5 star rating with over 6, 500 reviews.
- What it Sells: As the name suggests, Succulents Box specializes in subscription succulent and air plant boxes ranging from 1 to 4 succulents a month.
- Rewards: At the time of writing, Succulents Box offers 1 free random plant with any purchase of 3 or more plants. Subscriptions can be canceled at any time, no questions asked.
- Shipping: Who?: Succulents Box ships to the U.S. and outlying territories.
- Shipping: When?: Orders are shipped within 3 to 5 days of processing orders, Monday through Friday year-round.
- Shipping: How? Plants are packed by hand and are wrapped in tissue paper and bubble wrap before being boxed. 4-inch and fragile plants are shipped bareroot while others are shipped in their original plastic pot with soil. All plants are shipped via USPS.
- Returns/guarantees: Refunds and replacements are offered if the plant arrives damaged. Like Mountain Crest Gardens, Succulents Box offers a quality guarantee covering plants with no root, root rot, disease, broken stems, pest infestation, numerous missing leaves, incorrect or missing plants, and visible damage to pots or containers.
- About the Business: Founded in 2005, Etsy is a global online marketplace for “unique and creative goods,” and that includes plants. Customers can buy both live plants and seeds from various sellers on Etsy, filtering results based on price, location, shipping, and color. Customers should also read each seller’s reviews to make sure they are comfortable with his/her policies.
- Reviews & Ratings: Each seller will have different reviews and ratings. Customers should take care to read through them before making a purchase.
- What it Sells: Some sellers specialize in live plants while others specialize in seeds.
- Rewards: Some sellers may offer special deals.
- Shipping: Who?: Etsy sellers can ship worldwide, though each seller is different. Customers should make sure to filter for sellers shipping to their area.
- Shipping: When?: Shipping costs and processing times must be listed by each seller on Etsy. All local and international shipping customs apply.
- Shipping: How?: How a seller packages his/her products will depend on the seller’s preferences. If not expressly stated, customers should contact the seller to inquire before purchasing.
- Returns/guarantees: While individual sellers may have their own policies, an Etsy Purchase Guarantee badge informs shoppers that they can resolve any issues with their order through Etsy’s case system if they have already tried working with the individual seller. This badge will appear on listings in shops offering Etsy Payments with integrated PayPal.
- About the Business: Founded by Jeff Bezos in 1994, Amazon is now the world’s largest online retailer and technology company. In 2018 the online retailer added Amazon’s Plants Store to its already impossibly large offerings and is now a common place many find succulents online.
- Reviews & Ratings: Like Etsy, each seller or business will have different reviews and ratings. Customers looking to buy succulents should definitely read through them before making a purchase, as some sellers are more reliable and offer higher quality plants than others.
- What it Sells: Sellers and businesses specialize in both live succulents and seeds.
- Rewards: Some sellers may have special offers or promotions.
- Shipping: Who?: Amazon ships to all countries for delivery except for Iran, Cuba, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria. Certain items may not be able to be shipped to other countries, however. Amazon will let customers know if their selected plant can be shipped to their location.
- Shipping: When?: This depends, but generally items are shipped as soon as they are available, which can be anywhere from 1 day to multiple weeks.
- Shipping: How?: Each seller or business on Amazon may ship their succulents in different ways. Amazon Prime members may receive free shipping for Prime eligible items in stock.
- Returns/guarantees: The individual seller’s warrantee can be requested through Amazon’s customer service.